Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Sudden-death playoff suspended until Monday to settle Singapore Open

gonzalo fernandez-castano
Getty Images
Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano let a four-shot lead slip away on the back nine Sunday.
0
By 
PA Sport 

Series: European Tour
Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano and Juvic Pagunsan will finish their battle for the Barclays Singapore Open title on Monday morning after bad weather forced the suspension of their sudden-death playoff at Sentosa Golf Club.
Both players had finished tied for the lead on 14 under par, forcing a playoff, and teed off at the par-5 18th for a second time on Sunday, with the young Filipino Pagunsan splitting the fairway and Fernandez-Castano finding the sand.
However, lightning forced the duo off -- and though they returned more than an hour later to both hit lay-ups, thunderstorms returned to call a halt to proceedings for the day.
Anthony Kim produced the round of the day as a 64 that contained eight birdies and a bogey saw the American climb into a share of third on 13 under par. He was joined by Louis Oosthuizen, the South African compiling a fine 65 that included seven birdies and just one dropped shot.
Dutchman Joost Luiten, Danny Lee and Edoardo Molinari all ended 12 under following rounds of 67, 68 and 71 respectively, while James Morrison finished a shot further back in eighth thanks to a 1-over 72.
Justin Rose was tied for ninth on 10 under par after shooting a final round of 69, the Englishman collecting three birdies and a bogey, while Graeme McDowell shot a fine 66 to end 8 under par.
Fernandez-Castano had earlier let slip a four-stroke lead over the final nine holes as he ended with a round of 72.
With the tournament reduced to 54 holes after Saturday's play was ravaged by the weather, the overnight leader entered the final round with a three-shot advantage over Edoardo Molinari. And an eagle, a birdie and a bogey over the front nine on the Serapong Course saw him consolidate his lead, reaching 17 under at the turn to move four clear of the chasing pack.
However, three bogeys coming home as Fernandez-Castano missed a succession of makeable par putts saw the Spaniard's cushion trimmed to one.
Pagunsan then held his nerve to birdie the last with a fine 10-foot putt before Fernandez-Castano found the water off the 18th tee.
However, he brilliantly drained a 20-footer to escape with a five and set up a playoff after Pagunsan had signed off with a 67 that featured five birdies -- including a chip-in at the first -- and one bogey.
"It was a tough day out there -- one of the toughest I have ever had," said Fernandez-Castano. "The heat was brutal and my game was not good.
"I was feeling the pressure because it has been a long time without a victory and I want this one desperately," he explained. "I felt the pressure at the end. My game was just not there, the putter wasn't working and I made it tough for myself but at the very end to make that par on the last made my day.
"Those three pars to finish -- I know this doesn't sound great talking about three pars -- but considering the position I was in, the way I was playing and the way my mind was, it was big challenge and I managed to hang on. "
Pagunsan, who was in danger of losing his Asian Tour card before the event, is looking forward to what will be a $1 million shootout.
"It's going to be more exciting on Monday," said the Filipino. "My confidence is getting stronger and stronger. We are almost the same distance (with the third shot). We don't know what will happen. I don't think it'll be an advantage to play first (as his ball is further from the hole). He's a tough player.
"When I saw the leaderboard on the 17th hole, I was just one shot behind and I told my caddie to give myself a chance to tie the leader on 18. I just tried hard to win," he added. "I hit the third shot from 85 yards over the pin and spun it back. I made a good putt. It was from about six or seven feet.
"It was a nice putt as I saw that Gonzalo's drive was in the water. In my mind, I thought I was going to win, no playoff. But he made the putt also. I'm still here and will wait for a result," he explained. "I'm really happy with how I played. Even if I win or not, I've already saved my card for next year."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Golf Clubs For Sale