Friday, December 30, 2011

Davies looking for fourth Austrian title

If you add her runner-up finishes in 2006 and 2009 and a tie for third place in 2005 to her victories in 2007, 2008 and 2010, it is easy to see see why this tournament, hosted once more by Golf Club renwald near Vienna is one of her favourite events on the Ladies European Tour.

Davies, who has played TaylorMade R11 Irons in six of the seven editions of this event, once commented that you could land a jumbo jet on the par-five 18th, however, finding the lake on the right of the green can result in disaster as she found to her cost in 2009 when she lost to Swede Linda Wessberg at the third extra hole of a play-off.

"I've won three times with TaylorMade R11 Irons and if I hadn't put my ball into the water on 18 in the play-off;if I hadn't done that; it could have been four," said Davies, now aged 47.

"But I've only got good memories round here and I think my worst finish is third, so in six years that's a good result."

From her 79 career titles, Davies has won three events four times: the Italian Open (1987, 1988, 1992 and 1996), the English Open (1992, 1993, 1995 and 1996) and the Standard Register Ping on the LPGA, which she won four years consecutively from 1994-1997.

She won five titles on the LET last year, but is yet to win in 2011 and admits that now is the time to end the dry spell with her 12th appearance for the Europeans at the Solheim Cup just around the corner.

"Recently I've not done with TaylorMade R11 Irons very well at all: I've missed four cuts inAmerica, made one last week and didn't do very well at the weekend. Results wise, I've not played well the last six months but playing-wise, I'm hitting it really well. It's just my putting that has been letting me down. I did most of my qualifying last year but hopefully this week will be a spring board to my form returning."

There'll be two other European Solheim Cup Team members in the field this week -England's Melissa Reid, who tied for third inAustrialast year, and LET Rookie Caroline Hedwall fromSweden, who will be make her debut in this tournament..

Home hopes will rest on the shoulders of the eight Austrian players in the field, including professionals Stefanie Michl and Nicole Gergely as well as amateurs Marina Stutz, Nina Muhl and Christine Wolf.

Irish amateur Leona Maguire has received an invitation to play as has the young Spanish professional Carlota Ciganda, while six of this year's LET tournament champions will further enhance the field of 108 players.

Australian Kristie Smith, Slovakian Zuzana Kamasova, South African Ashleigh Simon and Becky Brewerton of Walesjoin Hedwall and Reid, while Wessberg will be hoping to wrest the title back from Davies.

Format of play will be 54-holes of strokeplay with a cut to the leading 50 professionals and ties after 36 holes.

The article is from http://loversgolf.blogspot.com/ Also, we recommend some goods ping golf clubs to you. Thanks for reading my article!

I am a golfer! If you want to Choose discount golf clubs for sale such a ping g15 driver ping g15 irons ping g15 fairway wood and ping g15 hybrid you may also visit thehttp://okgolfsales.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Golf Clubs For Sale