Thursday, January 26, 2012

Golf Driving Tips to Reduce a Slice

I'm not sure that you have a problem with slicing your golf ball, it is however a good bet that you may now have or at one time had a slice. 80% of all amateur golfers have experience with this swing fault.

Before we can start to cure your slice, we need to understand what a slice is.

A slice is when the ball flight starts to the right, and then goes further right, or starts to the left and curves back to the right, this is for a right handed golfer. For a left handed golfer the affliction is the same only the ball goes left.

The major cause is impacting the ball with an open club face. There can be many reasons for the club face to be open at impact. The challenge is finding out why your club face is open and then fixing the swing fault that is the cause of it.

Many golfers will try a host of band-aid fixes most of which do not solve the underlying swing fault. A couple of examples;

Trying to play for the slice by aiming and swinging to the left. The ball will still slice, but may end up in the fairway.
Closing the club face at address. This may result in a hook ball flight, almost as hard to correct.
The search for what works is a study in frustration.

To illustrate how frustrating the search for the reason for a slice can be let me outline how mine was finally cured after more than 20 years.

I started golfing at age 25, with no lessons just watching others swing. after a couple of years I was playing to a 12 to 15 handicap and did not have a persistent slice or for that matter any chronic swing faults.

At about age 33 I suffered a shoulder injury and was out of golf for a couple of years. After some rehab I came back but with a mean slice and now sported a handicap in the mid 30's. I also had lost a lot of distance.My first experience with instruction was with a PGA teaching pro in my local area, my request was for him to help me with the slice. This persons' advice was to immediately open the club face as soon as I started my backswing, the theory being that it would force me to close the club face. This is a classic example of a band-aid fix, one that hides the problem temporarily!

This advice did work for a short time, but when the slice went away, and I tried to return to a normal swing, I could not.

I continued to try to play out of it without success and after a number of years went to another PGA pro, who immediately zeroed in on my grip, which was at the time at an extreme weak position. As soon as I changed to a stronger grip position the slice was gone.

Today almost all of my shots go arrow straight, and some of the lost distance is back.

Common swing faults that result in a slice ball flight.

A weak grip position is only one of the causes of a slice, but is easily fixed just use a strong grip position and practice.
Another common swing flaw that results in a slice is swinging from the outside in which can be caused by "casting" from the top which will cause you to tilt to the left changing your swing plane. The cure would be to swing from the inside to down the target line, maintain your "lag" as long as you can, and be sure you roll your right forearm over the left after impact.
Trying to swing harder, with the goal of gaining more distance is another leading cause of swinging over the top and again exacerbating the open face. The typical ball flight would be high and extremely to the right.
Your best avenue for success is to schedule a lesson with your local PGA teaching pro, and have him or her help identity what swing fault is causing the open face, and work to fix it.

Thіѕ article іѕ frοm http://okgolfsales.blogspot.com/ Alѕο, wе recommend ѕοmе gοοd Callaway golf clubs tο уου. Thanks fοr reading mу article!

I аm a golfer! If уου want tο сhοοѕе discount golf clubs for sale such аѕ callaway x22 irons Callaway x24 hot irons Callaway RAZR X Irons аnd callaway diablo edge irons уου mау аlѕο visit thе http://okgolfsales.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Golf Clubs For Sale